Age Restricted Communities
Age restricted communities can be found in all three Delaware Counties. Age restricted communities generally conform to HUD regulations enacted in 1995 — The Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA). The HOPA modified the statutory definition of housing for older persons. In general the housing community/facility has an 80/20 ratio. 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 or older. The remaining 20% may be occupied by persons under 55.
A housing community or facility is any dwelling or group of dwelling units governed by a common set of rules, regulations and/or restrictions. Typical examples include: a condominium association; a cooperative; a property governed by homeowners association; a municipally zoned area; a leased property under common private ownership; a manufactured housing community, mobile home park. More information on HOPA can be found at www.hud.gov.